Open Your HSA Today with Optum BankSM
Many people choose to open their HSA with Optum Bank, Member FDIC. Optum Bank is a leading HSA custodian and is dedicated to health care banking. With Optum Bank, you get an online banking experience specially designed for HSAs. You will also have the convenience of being able to manage your health plan and HSA with one website – myuhc.com.®
When you log in to myuhc.com, you can do all of your banking: pay bills, make deposits, reimburse yourself from your HSA, track spending, start investments and see your tax savings. In addition, you also get the Health Savings Account Debit MasterCard® to make it easy to pay from your account and Health Savings News, an e-newsletter for health care saving and spending tips.
Opening your HSA is simple and quick. There are just a couple of things to do before you get started:
- Make sure you're eligible.
- Gather the information you need to enroll.
1. Make Sure You're Eligible.
You are eligible to open an HSA if:
- You are covered by a qualified single or family high-deductible health plan (HDHP) like the UnitedHealthcare HSA Plan.
- You are NOT covered by any other non-HDHP health plan, such as a spouse's plan, that provides any benefits covered by your HDHP plan. Exceptions include permissible coverage, such as specific injury insurance or accident, disability, dental, vision or long-term care insurance.
- You are not enrolled in Medicare.
- You are not enrolled in the TRICARE or TRICARE for Life military benefits program.
- You have not received Veterans Administration (VA) benefits within the past three months.
- You cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return.
- You are not covered by a health care flexible spending account (FSA) for the tax year in which you will claim your HSA deposits as tax deductions.
2. Gather the Information You Need to Enroll.
To complete the enrollment process, please have the following information handy:
- Your Social Security Number
- A valid e-mail address
- Your UnitedHealthcare health plan ID card containing your group or employer number (unless you're enrolling on your own)
- Primary identification, such as a driver's license, passport or government- issued ID
- Your personal banking information, if you wish to make an electronic contribution after you complete your application
Don't forget to download the custodial & deposit agreement (PDF). You'll also need Adobe Reader to view this agreement, including the Terms & Conditions document as you open your HSA.
Open your HSA today.
NOTE: By applying for a Health Savings Account, you understand that you will be entering into a legally binding agreement with Optum Bank. You will have the ability to cancel your application at any time before the final screen.
Health savings accounts (HSAs) are individual accounts offered by Optum BankSM, Member FDIC, and are subject to eligibility and restrictions, including but not limited to restrictions on distributions for qualified medical expenses set forth in section 213(d) of the Internal Revenue Code. This communication is not intended as legal or tax advice. Please contact a competent legal or tax professional for personal advice on eligibility, tax treatment, and restrictions. Federal and state laws and regulations are subject to change.